[Server-sky] SaVi Geomview working on my openSUSE 11.1 workstation!

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky zznmeb at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 17:00:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Tony Rick <tonyr42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> There exists what looks like a current version of Geomview already in the
> Ubuntu repos (I assume that means Debian, too).  No such SaVi, but I haven't
> looked for it very hard.

Yeah ... Debian tends to have more packages than anyone else, followed
by Gentoo. I think Ubuntu is still getting most of its packages
ultimately from Debian repos, but I haven't been tracking that.

Meanwhile, I am in the process of installing the Jaunty Jackalope beta
on my laptop. It turns out that the Linux partitioning tools can't
move and resize XFS partitions, which is what I've got on my
workstation. So I'm juggling stuff on the laptop (all vanilla EXT3) to
get a Ubuntu partition until the weekend, when I have time to do a
full backup and partition juggle on the workstation.

So once I get the Ubuntu partition, I'll connect up with GitHub and do
the port using the Geomview in the repos, assuming it's the latest
version. I suspect the openSUSE partition on the laptop will get
abandoned as soon as Jaunty releases -- I don't have anything
permanent on the laptop, I want to get moving on the Eucalyptus / Xen
stuff and there is a *lot* more of the R / ggobi / data visualization
stuff I do in the Ubuntu / Debian repos than there is in the openSUSE
repos.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky