[Server-sky] Growth in demand for computing

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky zznmeb at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 17:53:24 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Tony Rick <tonyr42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <zznmeb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I took a look at the slides you posted on the Wiki. There is a request
>> on slide 52 for a picture of exponential growth of demand for compute
>> power. So far, I've found one item, on an Intel blog:
>>

>> http://communities.intel.com/openport/community/openportit/server/blog/tags/growth
>>
>> So far, that's all I've found.
>
> Lot's of hits on the phrase 'demand for compute cycles' often in conjunction
> with 'ever-increasing', but no references.  It has the feeling of
> self-fulfilling
> prophecy, spin, marketing and urban mythology, but I'm a cynic in that
> regard.

Well ... it's actually a bit more complicated, but yes, it's like any
other "cycle" -- there are booms, bubbles, busts and other examples of
"behavioral finance" depending on demand and supply in imperfect
markets. As you probably recall, I spent a decade at Floating Point
Systems in sales and marketing, so I lived through more or less one
complete cycle as a "participant."

I don't know where we are currently in the cycle, being out of all
markets except the job market, but Server Sky will certainly change
the supply side of the equation. But I wouldn't worry -- demand will
grow to outstrip supply in any event, just like it has with Twitter.
:)

Keith, I've forgotten -- is Server Sky on Twitter?
--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky