[Server-sky] vibration modes

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Mar 27 06:49:54 UTC 2009

Server-sats will have interesting vibration modes.  Given the
mass-to-flexural-stiffness ratio, they will probably vibrate at
really low frequencies.  Does anybody remember enough of their
vibrating beam physics from college to take a whack at this, or
do I derive something a week or two from now?

I suspect the vibration frequencies are low enough that we may
have to feather the thrusters, that is, turn on the acceleration
really gradually, or there will be waves that will be very slow
to damp out.  For that and other reasons, we should look for
methods to measure flexing.  I suspect the measurements will
involve time-of-flight distance measurements to transceivers
on neighboring server-sats.

Keith