[Server-sky] predictive/adaptive telepresence, on the moon and in your yard

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 01:19:38 UTC 2013

The Project Persephone concept of exovivarium

  http://www.projectpersephone.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/PmWiki/Exovivaria

faces "orbital telecommute" challenges. In LEO the predictive haptics
problem is probably negligible. It won't be negligible if exovivaria
are eventually hosted on the moon, however. Or even as near as GEO.

The idea of "telecommuting physical labor" to get things done in the
sky would, of course, have applications (and solve political problems)
on Earth, as Keith points out. Here in Japan, I often see workers
climbing telephone poles to string yet more cable. The profusion of
which being something that must be seen to be believed.

  http://marinasjland.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/telephone_pole_crop.jpg

It strikes me every time I see it: this is dangerous work, for which
human bodies are not optimal, even when young (and Japan is aging.)
Somebody in Bangladesh could be teleoperating a more appropriate
device that climbs the pole -- one that can even climb along the
wires. It might be slower by half than a human body operated directly
through a brainstem, but ... you're paying only cost of capital for
robotics (which is low, in Japan) plus Bangladesh labor rates. And
paying out less in workers comp.

I'm not sure there's any signal delay threshold below which predictive
haptics ceases to add value, for cross-globe communications. Even
terrestrial fiber (which is undoubtedly how my notional Bangladeshi
operates a telebotic hand in Tokyo) incurs delays that might make a
difference. Server Earth may well precede Server Sky.

Regards,
Michael Turner

Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry