[Server-sky] [ExI] Power sats again

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 10:48:58 UTC 2013

I'm fresh from a debate about EROEI for PVs, during which I discovered
that large hydro (yes, /locally/ environmentally disastrous, I know)
beats everything else quite handily in EROEI. This renewed for me an
issue of definition: if you count hydroelectric as "solar", could you
call a huge hydroelectric dam in a remote area, far from any major
power market, as part of an SSP system if you beamed its power /up/ to
a geostationary microwave relay, for distribution to markets elsewhere
on Earth?

Obviously, such relaying is not inherently limited to hydroelectric.
It just seems like hydro-to-space-to-market could be the shorter (and
less capital-intensive) path to space-based solar power, one with a
relatively low carbon budget, and with a better baseload profile than
most renewables.
Regards,
Michael Turner

Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry