[Server-sky] [ExI] Power sats again

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 05:25:28 UTC 2013

"On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:40 PM, Charles Radley <cfrjlr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/2013 12:33 AM, Michael Turner wrote:
>>> [....]  Here in the Pacific Northwest, power produced at
>>> times of low demand (say 2200 to 0600) can have negative value;
>>> the Bonneville Power Administration pays money to dispose of wind
>>> power produced at these times in resistors in the desert, to avoid
>>> spilling water over the dams and supernitrogenating the water,
>>> damaging the salmon.
>> Somebody should go out to that point in the desert and sneak in a more
>> valuable resistive load: obsolete Bitcoin mining rigs. ;-)
>
> I expect BPA would be happy to sell the power to you, but  can you
> figure out a way of making a profit at i?.  Keep in mind that there are
> only a few days per year when the cost of power goes negative ...so most
> of the time your desert Bitcoin plant will be sitting idle, it would be
> difficult to finance such a venture.

I wrote "/obsolete/ Bitcoin mining rigs", don't forget. In other
words, computer junk that someone would probably pay you to haul away.
The ROI on Bitcoin mining is very much a function of the capital
investment required; some rigs never pay for themselves. If instead
the money is paid to you, you are facing little more than
transportation and setup costs.

Anyway, it always ruins a joke to explain it.

Regards,
Michael Turner

Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry