[Server-sky] Server Sky transport energy comparison

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 03:56:53 UTC 2013

EROEI could be a great way to sell Server Sky. But how sensitive are
the computations to style of launch?

Ground-based accelerators are suddenly back as a buzz topic with the
Slingatron KickStarter campaign.

  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/391496725/the-slingatron-building-a-railroad-to-space

It wouldn't be my first choice of what accelerator concept to throw
some money at, but I think all the promoters of the various
accelerator concepts talk about a range of $200-$600/lb under the
assumption of present-day energy costs.

What you might do is present EROEI projections in tabular format, with
the two dimensions being "thinsat generation" and "style of launch".
Ideally, the finance, economics and EROEI of thinsats still work out
nicely for rocket-based orbiters, even if SpaceX finds a launch-cost
plateau for rockets and accelerators never work out. But in a future
where energy is more expensive, EROEI will become ever more important.
All accelerator schemes require less total energy than rockets,
because so much less energy is expended on lifting fuel that's used to
lift fuel that's used to lift ....

Some accelerator schemes might feature a fair amount of energy
recovery as well. Carl Knowlen once told me that ram accelerators
could be recoilless (IIRC he even talked about /negative/ recoil), and
could recycle almost all of their post-detonation gases and much of
their heat energy. The Slingatron might "power down" regeneratively
for reloading -- with fast enough launch cycle times, maybe even
capacitative storage would make sense.

Regards,
Michael Turner

Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry