[Server-sky] cathing up

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 14:16:42 UTC 2013

> For hardware, have y'all looked at forming a makerspace ?

Thinsats won't be makerspace projects. They'll require advanced IC fab
facilities. Perhaps some prototyping can be done in existing
makerspaces.

I'm trying to coordinate the first Japan-only production of KickSat
Sprites , which are thinsat-like but still (being surface-mount PCBs)
are still well short of chip-level fab. I tried to drum up interest at
a makerspace in Tokyo. The fit wasn't very good. The spirit of
makerspaces seems to align with a rather anarchic and sometimes
retro-tech approach. Server Sky is large-scale network
advanced-technology architecture, a Big Telecom domain. If
hackerspaces they can't get into working with Sprites, it's hard to
see how they'd get into thinsats.

As for funding ... venture capitalists tend to ask for a
four-years-or-less path to profit. I don't see any horizon so near in
the case of Server Sky. There is incredible public-good "profit"
potential in the concept, but the investment community doesn't fund
megaprojects on the basis of public good. Some large companies with
big labs /might/ fund some advanced research and development however,
in hopes that governments will see the public-good case.

Regards,
Michael Turner

Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry