[Server-sky] A kind of thinsat to help deorbiting small debris

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 12:59:50 UTC 2013

My reply on the LinkedIn Thread:

Greg Zsidisin: "Now for reality to intrude - who is gonna pay for
debris removal? That is the eternal question."

It's an answered question, I believe, only if you can identify a
launching state as having produced debris that caused a collision that
actually damaged or destroyed an asset of yours. (Brian Weeden is the
go-to guy on questions like these. I'm only echoing what he's
written.) Without added treaty terms that mandate insurance on
objects, with any added insurable risk to others being billed to the
owner of the new object that imposes the new risks, it's hard to see a
source of any systematic flow of payments.

I took my posting here to the Server Sky mailing list, and Keith
Lofstrom responded with some cogent comments. Basically, as he points
out, it's really more about neutralization more than removal (removal
being just one kind of neutralization.) Neutralization can mean
steering debris to more innocuous orbits - which it looks like LODR
can do. And the debris is really an asset, if we can figure out how to
economically recycle it into useful space purposes. Neutralization
might also take the form of more accurate tracking, for purposes of
avoidance. Again, Keith had some good thoughts on this.

The ideal solution might be a neutralization scheme that feeds on the
debris itself. For example, in the above comment I propose that the
LODR mirrors be distributed in orbit. (This admittedly gets tricky in
terms of scheduling if you're dependent on the intensity of deposited
energy for net thrust vectors -- speed-of-light delays become even
more significant.) What if those mirrorsats could be (partly) made of
debris themselves? They might use their reflected pulses to steer some
of the metallic debris not into the atmosphere but upward, toward
orbital facilities where mirrorsats final assembly is done, so that
the aluminum (and whatnot) can be recycled into mirror backing and
other mirrorsat components. And maybe, eventually, into other useful
things. You have to wonder if LODR couldn't actually help with some
fabrication steps.

Another neutralization technique, as Keith points out, is accurate
tracking of debris for avoidance. Avoidance incurs costs (in terms of
useful lifetime without refueling) on the spacecraft that's evading
the debris. As Keith points out, Server Sky could make an excellent
radar tracker, providing very accurate orbital elements for debris we
can't even see now. If one can make a case that a piece of debris
/could/ hurt or destroy your orbital asset, and that it didn't do harm
only because you dodged it, there's a basis for imposing the costs of
evasion (in terms of lifetime or refueling of your asset) on the
generator of the debris. But that's only IF that source can be
identified. Better tracking might help in this as well: it could
narrow down the possibilities of launching state (or launching
corporate entity.) Reflection from LODR pulses might be also [sic]
produce spectral results that further narrow down the possibilities
for identity. In the future, very trace admixtures in the alloys used
might be required of treaty cosignatories, to provide an identifying
signature that LODR pulses might "read out." In the meantime, it would
be good to develop a registry of materials used in various objects
that currently represent debris risk, through "open source
intelligence" and eventually by treaty mandate.

I should point out that ideas here that I have not attributed to Keith
Lofstrom do not necessarily originate with me. I might be
independently reinventing (or even "remembering" without remembering
where I first saw an idea.) If anyone knows of similar (if not
identical) proposals, I'd be happy to hear about them. LODR itself
dates from the early 90s, if not earlier, with Claude Phipps
apparently at the root of most of [the ideas]. Few ideas about space
technology are entirely new.

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry