[Server-sky] Server Sky preparation as economic stimulus?

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 01:11:35 UTC 2013

Another day, another draft:

  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MbYmmUIjalrsreh0t1Wk2IdVoiW29ymHV70bQ_sPtKg/edit

And a still-unanswered question:

Let's say progress toward Server Sky could move much faster with
government financing during economic slumps, with a dialing back on
funding (but continued progress at lower rates) during economic
recoveries. What's your strategy for how to allocate the funds in the
two different kinds of phases? Is there something in Server Sky that's
"shovel-ready", where you could create jobs temporarily by launching a
lot of stuff, stuff possibly useful even if it's only a negligible
fraction of the ultimate satellite constellation?

For example, Keith has said here that Server Sky would make an
excellent phased-array radar system for identifying and tracking
orbital debris. Elsewhere I've read that the problems of orbital
debris will become more acute, sooner, for sun-synchronous orbits.
Getting a jump on that problem could have long-term economic value.

If so, can Server Sky Mark I's be the payload for a series of launches
on conventional launchers all ready to go? (These launchers might
drawn from our current overstock of ICBMs, with smaller payloads to
help them reach sun-synch orbits. The Dnepr - formerly SS-18 ICBM -
proves that this can be done. And the Shtil SLBM has put up at least
one small satellite. Perhaps there's plenty in America's own silos
that could go.) The effort needn't actually yield practical results -
just more valuable research results the more you launch. When the
economy is recovered, dial back on those launches.

Just an example. Help me think of more.

Regards,
Michael Turner
Executive Director
Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry