[Server-sky] O3b mentioned here, laser links emerging - even from lunar orbit

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 12:15:04 UTC 2013

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/518826/nasa-moonshot-will-test-laser-communications/

Last I checked, there were pretty strong ITAR restrictions on
communicating using narrow beams from orbit. I suspect this has
changed -- for one thing, Planetary Resources has never mentioned this
constraint in talking about the Arkyd comm system, which is optical

I'm no satellite communications engineer, so I don't know what the
implications of greater laser bandwidth in orbit would be, for Server
Sky. Is it possible that the design of thinsats is somewhat eased if
they only need to route computational results through near neighbors,
and eventually to a laser downlink?

Regards,
Michael Turner

Project Persephone
K-1 bldg 3F
7-2-6 Nishishinjuku
Shinjuku-ku Tokyo 160-0023
Tel: +81 (3) 6890-1140
Fax: +81 (3) 6890-1158
Mobile: +81 (90) 5203-8682
turner at projectpersephone.org
http://www.projectpersephone.org/

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward
together in the same direction." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry