[Server-sky] Electrochromic alternative to LCDs

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Apr 2 06:43:26 UTC 2009

Server-sats can reach temperatures of 60C while operating, and can
drop as low as -200C during the darkside transit of each orbit.
I was a little worried about the effects on LCDs.  A friend pointed
out an alternative, electrochromic glass, which can go from fully
transparent to fully reflective in seconds.  Here is a demo:

http://windows.lbl.gov/materials/chromogenics/default.htm

Versions of this material are now being produced to for the
windows of whole buildings, so it is inexpensive and reliable,
apparently a lot more reliable than LCDs.  Since we do not need
millisecond response times for the thrusters, electrochromics
may be ideal.  I will stick to the LCD story for the short term,
because people know what LCDs are but they don't yet know about
electrochromics.

Keith