[Server-sky] porting presentation to html

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon May 11 08:39:16 UTC 2009

I've done the presentation for server sky a few times now;  the
next one will be at the Oregon L5 meeting on Saturday May 16.
I will post details later.

In any case, OpenOffice.org is pretty slow and does not do
animations well.   I'm planning to port the presentation to
html files, which will contain some javascript that reads the
output of my "wireless presenter", or keyboard buttons, and
selects the next slide.  I plan to construct the package of
html files with a makefile.  Some of the files will contain
swf Flash animations, which display pretty decently in firefox.

There will be navigation pages that take me to blocks of
slides.

By using a make file, I can construct multiple targeted
slide sets from a general deck of slides.  I can also
regenerate all the sets after I change one of the synthesis
programs.  Some of the slides will be png's emitted by
openoffice; that is still a useful design tool for static
slides.

The resulting presentations should display nicely on any
browser with java and flash.

If anybody wants to help build this, it might make a popular
general purpose tool that will earn fame and fortune.  However,
it seems like such an obvious a way to do things (especially
the make file technique) that I suspect someone has already
done it.  Pointers, please!

Keith