[Server-sky] Project Loon

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Fri Aug 23 17:55:09 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 01:36:41PM +0900, Michael Turner wrote:
> Perhaps there's a business case for Loon maritime broadband.

Except ... Loon relays from a fixed tower.  Which helps neither remote
islands or moving vehicles over oceans, unless a VERY long chain of
balloons form the relay.  I assume oceans are where the balloons down
into the southgoing airstream (in the 0N to 30N) Hadley cell.

---

BTW, I haven't had much time to study it, but Server Sky arrays will be
underutilized over the mid-Pacific ocean - some near-horizon use from
Japan and New Zealand, but the "sweet spot" near-equator longitudes
will be occupied only by a few airplanes and ships.

And Hawaiʻi.  Hawaiʻi won't be able to use the bandwidth and computation
that other longitudes will want, but we can do major uploads from there,
over fiber running from Asia and the US.  Big dishes scattered across
the islands east to west will be the feeds to populate arrays with
new data, much of the command and control, etc.

> I think it's way past time for you to do the Google Talk, Keith.

Somebody makes arrangements, I'll be there!  My "talk memory" is fading,
I must practice a talk about 20 times for enough of it to stick that I
can operate without a script, but given the opportunity I'll make a
good showing.

Note that Google sometimes has problems playing nice with the politically
incorrect.  Like a lot of the "managed internet" countries, such as China
and India.  Google must mend a lot of fences before these important
players in the International Telecommunication Union approve anything
Google is involved with, like internet balloons, or possibly server sky.

Indeed, China controls their airspace so carefully that even scheduled
domestic airline flights are delayed by hours or days.  If the air force
of the People's Liberation Army is conducting exercises, forget about
it.  The chances Google can send internet balloons over China is worse
than zero:  the Chinese may flex their loan muscles at Washington D.C.
and Project Loon is grounded worldwide.

> Sign my petition!

Sure!  What petition?  Where?

Keith