[Server-sky] Where Are They? Economic answer to the Fermi Paradox

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu Aug 29 21:40:18 UTC 2013

Talking with aliens?  If Ward and Brownlee are right, they are far
away.  Given the speed of light and the discount rate, we probably
will never make the sustained effort.  Sigh.

http://server-sky.com/WhereAreThey

This isn't directly server sky related, except in the sense that
server sky Dyson Shell Edition will be a tradeoff between
economic efficiency and the time discount rate.  We will someday
exploit nearby stars for supplemental computation power, but we
are unlikely to exploit distant stars.  The results will be too
long in arriving.  Which is a bummer, but it may explain the
Fermi paradox.

Keith