[Server-sky] Where Are They? Economic answer to the Fermi Paradox

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Aug 30 09:34:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 02:40:18PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Talking with aliens?  If Ward and Brownlee are right, they are far

Dropping by in person is as expensive as talking.

> away.  Given the speed of light and the discount rate, we probably
> will never make the sustained effort.  Sigh.

Economy is a special case of ecology. Ecology doesn't care
about ROI, but about escaping population pressure into new
niches. Any technological civilization will create an expanding
wave of pioneers which select for expansiveness across
even moderate (few insterstellar hops) distances.
The successor organism waves transform stellar systems
into ~AU FIR emitters, which are very visible on sufficient
scale.