[Server-sky] Need a projector minder for Portland sustainability conference

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sun Jul 28 16:54:41 UTC 2013

Portlanders: Help!

I need assistance from a Windows and Powerpoint and Internet Explorer
and Oddball Projector guru standing by during a presentation I will
make Thursday morning (Lloyd Center Doubletree), orchestrating
the infrastructure and rapidly solving unexpected problems.
Any AV impresarios here?

The venue: IEEE Sustainability Conference.  In the years since my
last IEEE conference presentation, the organization has unofficially
"standardized" on Microsoft and Powerpoint, the poorly-tuned coal
plants of software.

I haven't used either for years, nor do I do the kind of sophorific
bullet-point text wads that Powerpoint is designed to inflict on
audiences.  I wrote my own tool ( http://server-sky.com/wydiwys )
that is graphic and animation oriented, and presents through most
web browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer.

But conferences are not designed to handle exceptions.  Bang bang
bang, back-to-back presentations assembled into one big Powerpoint
slide deck.  I find myself with a 20 minute window to present some
very unexpected ideas, as well as handle the swapping of
presentation tools.  The conference chair is Not Happy.  If I can
not only arrange to take care of my own exception, and additionally
solve whatever else comes up, the chair might be Mollified.

I know there are some wonderfully helpful volunteer types here;
what I need is expertise and rapid problem solving; good intentions
are humbly appreciated but probably insufficient for this task.
I expect I will be paying somebody who is Really Good, and pointers
to that somebody would be extra special humbly appreciated.

Help!

Keith